Monday 2 May 2011

On this day in 1947...

Someone was installing new windows on our flat!

Flo has kindly been restoring the window in the kitchen. When he took down the sash boxes he found newspaper tucked into the gaps around the window, which he set aside for me to unravel (knowing that I love that sort of stuff!).

The date on the paper was April 29th, so I guess it might of been stuffed into the gaps a few days later - maybe even May 2nd, all those years ago!

The year was torn off, but this advertisement for the Academy Award winning film 'The Best Years of Our Lives', and a search on Google lead me to figure out that this was a paper from 1947 - 64 years ago!

The paper crumbled as I tried to unfold it, but I did manage to collect a few interesting little stories with my camera before it entirely disintegrated. I was so fascinated that I'm going to dedicate this week to the stories I found....

Starting with this one about a woman summoning her husband for assault for throwing his bacon and eggs at her... and people on the Night Bus to Croydon getting electric shocks!

The N12 bus still runs today from Oxford Circus through Camberwell to Dulwich, but doesnt go all the way to Croydon anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment