Thursday 15 November 2012

Bathroom Lighting - IP ratings explained

There are still a few outstanding questions that I need to figure out for my bathroom refurbishment project, one of which is the lighting.

Because it is a wet area, the light I choose needs to be IP rated, which limits my choice somewhat. An 'IP' rating is the Index of Protection rating. The first digit describes the degree of protection rate against solid objects, dust, and particles; while the second digit describes the degree of protection offered against liquids.

Despite my 2.7m high ceilings, my ceiling light will fall within zone 2 and therefore need to be IP44 rated. 4 for protection from solid bodies with a diameter larger than 1mm so you cant stick your fingers into it, and 4 for protection from direct splashing.

For more detailed information, read more here: http://blog.sparksdirect.co.uk/ip-rating-in-the-bathrooms-bathroom-ip-zoning/

No comments:

Post a Comment