Wednesday 28 August 2013

Hammerite & Prep work



Today the Hammerite 'Direct to rust' metal paint arrived in the post.  I debated for a while about whether or not to get the spray or the paint - a spray finish is usually smoother, and I thought it might be easier to apply given all the detailed scroll work on the legs.  

The Hammerite technical department informed me that as their product was an oil based paint, you dont really see the brush marks anyway, and with a spray you would need 4 coats, whereas with the paint you'd only need 2 as it goes on thicker.  So, in the interest of time, and for the ability of being able to paint the table legs in the flat, I opted for the paint.

I chose the satin finish in white as I thought it more appropriate for an interior application over the glossy.



I also started sanding the table top in preparation for the Farrow and Ball 'Cornforth White'  Estate Eggshell paint, and cleaned the table legs with soap and water. There wasnt any flaking paint or rust to brush off.

No comments:

Post a Comment