Saturday 9 March 2013

A new sideboard






The January sales seemed like a good opportunity to look for a sideboard for the niche beside my fireplace. After much searching and deliberation, this high gloss white laquer Aspen model from Habitat made it home. The unit itself is 1600mm long, just 10mm shorter than the tightest dimension I carefully measured on the floor of my flat - so I was pretty excited about how perfectly it would fit.

Alas, things are never as easy as they seem and unfortunately although I had taken into account the fact that the walls of the niche were not parallel in plan, I neglected to account for the fact that my walls also canted inwards in the vertical plane - meaning that it didnt quite fit. Argh! After 4 hours of sanding the skirting down on either side the unit fit like a glove. Then it was only a matter of getting some little blocks cut to sit under the front two legs to level out the 18mm slope in my floor. Ooof! What was meant to be a simple job is now at last complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment