Sunday 4 March 2012

Kitchen Floorboards Removed

This weekend I spent a few hours on Saturday removing the floorboards in the kitchen, and then a few hours on sunday morning removing them in the hallway. It was harder work than expected as the boards were nailed down really tightly, but I did get better at it as I went along. It took me on average half an hour to remove each long floorboard (including knocking out the nail heads and sawing them in thirds by hand). Luckily I have a builder coming in to lay the boards in the week while I recover!

Its crazy to see how much the existing joists have sagged over the years - they have all been furred out with deep wedges of timber to achieve a level surface. I was hoping to find treasure, (or at least another old newspaper) but alas all I found was 200 years of dust and debris!

No comments:

Post a Comment